This year we had a lot of ham and mashed potatoes left behind so I tossed them together for a warm and tasty soup. If you didn't have ham, use a little bacon for flavor as the mashed potatoes really can stand on their own here.
Leftover Ham and Potato Soup
Hands On Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: 35 minutes
1 small onion - chopped small
1 clove garlic - minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced leftover ham
1 quart chicken stock or broth
4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed thyme (optional)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed 4 quart soup pot.
2. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently - until translucent.
3. Add ham and cook until heated through.
4. Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce immediately to a simmer and stir in potatoes and thyme.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure potatoes are smooth.
6. Stir in cheese and serve.