Funny stuff, and a really great, and fresh, recipe.
Don't even think about reaching for that d*mn can! I will bust your head like Gallagher busts a watermelon. I'll be g*dd*amned if I feed that much sodium to my kids or to myself. That doesn't mean you can't have tomato soup that reminds you of being a kid. Here's a great recipe to make your own at home. Serve this up with some mac n' cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich to really bring back those memories.
I'm-Gonna-Slap-You-With-My-Whisk Tomato Bisque
How long it takes: 15 to prep, 50 to cook
How much it makes: enough to make 4 people really happy
What you need:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 medium white onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
One 15-oz can whole tomatoes
4 fresh tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
1 dime bag salt
1 dime bag pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
What to do with it:
1. In a large saucepan, heat up your olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the onions and garlic and cook them bad boys until they're nice and soft.
2. Pour in the canned tomatoes, followed by the freshly chopped tomatoes and all your broth.
3. Get the saucepan a rockin' by bringing it to a boil. Now, reduce the heat, cover, and let it all simmer and coagulate for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from the heat and puree.
5. Once it's lookin' like soup, drop it back to your saucepan and reheat on low heat.
6. Add the milk (or cream), give it a swirl, season to taste with salt and pepper, and carefully pour it into a nice vessel.
7. Garnish the top with some fresh basil and eat it up!
*Dime bag is equal to a tablespoon - have that much on-hand to season from - don't use the whole tablespoon!