This has got to be one of the easiest soups known to man. With 3 basic ingredients (2 if you're my husband) and very little time, you can whip this up as an accompaniment to a larger meal or serve as a light lunch by itself.
Egg Drop Soup
Total Time: 10 minutes
4 cups chicken stock
2 eggs - beaten
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
salt to taste
powdered ginger - optional
green onion tops - sliced thinly - optional for garnish
soy sauce - optional - for garnish
1. Bring stock to a boil - add a bit of ginger if you like.
2. Mix cornstarch with 4 Tablespoons water and stir until smooth.
3. Pour cornstarch into stock - whisking constantly - until thickened.
4. Stir the thickened stock in one direction and pour the eggs into the swirling liquid so that they cook into thin ribbons.
5. Salt to taste and ladle into bowls. Add green onion and soy sauce to the top of each bowl, if desired.