Stew is so satisfying that it's hard to believe how simple it is to make. This version doesn't take a long time to cook, either, so it's perfect for any night of the week.
2 pounds chicken breast chunks
flour to coat chicken
2 Tablespoons oil
8 cups chicken stock
6 large potatoes, cut into large cubes
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
1/2 pound baby carrots, peeled
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Coat chicken chunks in flour.
2. Heat a heavy soup pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and chicken.
3. Brown chicken lightly and add remaining ingredients.
4. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
* Adding this in here - you may want to thicken at the end with a simple water/flour slurry or Beurre Manier - to desired thickness, no real formula.